A strange title for sure, however I hope it made you curious to read more, for I want to share a game that may help to change your life.
- Have you ever wanted to do something, but fear got in your way?
- Do you have a dream for the kind of life you want to live, but you’re too afraid to go for it?
- When you look back on your life do you wish you had taken more chances? Have regrets?
Are you ready to stop letting FEAR rule your life? If so let’s undertake this project together.
A Box of FEAR!!
- Find a box, or container of some sort that you can decorate with inspiration. If you prefer your container to be on the computer, then create a space where you can place words or phrases.
- Cut up some paper to write words, sentences or descriptions. If on the computer skip this step.
- Now think of one thing in your life that you have wanted to do or say, but FEAR has kept you stuck.
- As you think of this thing/sharing explore what you fear (See example below), identify the specific fear, write it down.
- Now, look at the specific fear you wrote down, really see it. Take a deep long breath, honoring that fear – then tell it in your own words, “You no longer control me”- place the fear in the container/box.
- As you place it in the box/container you are letting it go.
- In place of the fear choose a word that is empowering, often the opposite of the fear.
- Then CHOOSE one action step that you will take towards what you want to do/create/share.
- Write this action step down on a piece of paper or computer. Put it where you see it many times throughout the day.
- Take your action step!! (This does not have to be a big step, many little steps lead to the same destination)
- I was terrified to send my first article off for publication to a magazine. As I looked at the fear it was based in “fear of rejection”. I gave “rejection” over to the Box of Fear and in its place I chose “Acceptance” with the action step of sending off the article. As a side note, it did get published :-).
- I was scared to go back to college full time in my forties as a single mom with two young children and no car. My base fear was “fear of failure”. I let go of this fear, placing it in the box. In its place I chose “Courage” and “I am ENOUGH”. My action step, enroll, apply for financial aid and start back full time. Find a job on campus and get good at riding my bike. I completed my Bachelors degree.
Use this process to discover that you are brave enough, you are courageous, you are worthy, you can do it!!
Once you have built up your muscle of self-worth and self-love, you will no longer need “The Box of Fear”. Fear does not go away if you are living a dynamic passionate life, however it will have no control or limiting impact.
Fear is the grand gift that can propel you into the direction of your heart’s desire.