- the state of being uncertain.
2. something that is uncertain or that causes one to feel uncertain.
Who would have thought that I would come to a place where I would begin to explore words such as “uncertainty”, “unknown”, “risk”, and “impermanence”? Words that we are taught to avoid at all costs; words whose definition makes most people cover their eyes, plug their ears, and hold their breath, hoping it will go away!!
When I travel back through my life I smile at the teachings along the way, they were put there with good intentions, with love, with hopes for an abundant life full of success. All the “dos” and “don’ts” taught with each passing year – kindergarten, elementary school, junior high, high school and years upon years of college for this girl. Every stepping stone put in place to prepare me for life, to guide me, to tell me “right” from “wrong”, yet I question did all of these teachings truly set me up to live a life of passionate exuberant joy and love? I do believe that the original intentions of it were honorable, however as I watch its impacts on my own children my heart hurts.
Thus as I welcome my fifty-second year of life on this planet, I explore with great intensity the true paradoxes of our world – fear/love, uncertainty/predictable, risk/security, impermanence/forever, passion/apathy, courage/meekness… I begin to fully understand that for me a life of wild raw joy is one that rides the very edge of these paradoxes.
- As I welcome edgy fear, I feel more loving gratitude for all that is, my insides squiggle with excited curiosity at just what might happen next!
- As I embrace uncertainty I experience the true sense of potential, of becoming more!
- In hugging the reality of risk involved in my present situation I open to the possibilities of grander abundance and thus perhaps more real security.
- In completely recognizing that all is impermanent I forever humbly honor with immense gratitude that which is!
- As I dance with ecstatic passion, apathy falls to the wayside, morphing into empathy for those stuck in such space.
- Alas as I breathe deep into my courageous heart to embody the pure potential, I thank the aspects of myself which kept me meek and playing small, for I now know the difference!!
Ironically I ask each and every one of you to honestly look at the truth that all is impermanent, that uncertainty really is what exists, and that without risk, passion, courage, and love, nothing today would be as it is!! Heck, the world would still be flat!!
To manifest a life of unlimited possibilities we must embrace uncertainty. Thus it is necessary for me to take a deep breath that welcomes in the greatness uncertainty offers. As I practice this each day, I pull back the layers of teachings which have covered my body, mind, and spirit like the bandages of a mummy. Beneath each layer I expose myself to a new sense of vulnerability, another layer of hypocrisy stripped away, removing daily the antidotal projection of others. It graces me with the opportunity to wiggle in the pure exposure to “what if”!!
Today is a good day to embrace uncertainty!! Every day is a grand day to expand into the pure richness of the unknown, for who knows what fantabulous quests will unfold, what abundance shall flow forth, and what profound experiences may awaken on the journey.
I invite you today to take a moment to ponder – What is certain in your life (be completely honest here)? Then, what is possible if you embraced a new love for uncertainty?